Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday - Buzz Words!

Today I am going to write my first Top Ten Tuesday post where essentially you pick ten things that go along with a certain topic, and it is hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish. This week the topic is the top ten words/topics that will make me pick up or buy a book, or essentially, buzz words. So this should be fun! 

1. Fairy Tales
I love fairy tales. I don't know why but whenever someone mentions them I get extremely excited and have to pick up that book no matter what. It's especially great when someone does a retelling of a fairy tale that's not so well known. One example : Blue Beard. Honestly you don't get any creepier than that, and I love creepy. I love it so much so when I heard about Strands of Bronze and Gold by Jane Nickerson I was SO excited. (Besides the fact that I've been putting it off for some reason unknown to me. Oops.) 

2. Science Fiction
Across the Universe, anybody? Ender's Game? These are some of my favorites and guess what, they're science fiction. (I think you can already guess how excited I was for Cinder by Marissa Meyer.) I think the fact that they're so entirely plausible is the reason I like them so much. Because, what will our world like in a hundred years? 

3. Travel/Foreign Countries 
Reading books set in other countries always makes me nostalgic for when I went overseas to Japan for the first time. Even though it was only last fall, I love reading about people's journey's across the ocean, Or even if they're just set in a different country than mine (cough, cough, The Infernal Devices). It's always so exotic and I recently read The Kite Runner for the first time which was a completely new and different experience for me but so, so worth it. 

4. Mystery 
In a word (or two), Sherlock Holmes. This is the bad boy that essentially led me to discover how good a mystery can really be if it's done right. I read and loved The Agency series by Y.S. Lee and fell in love with it. I'm sure there are a ton more that I am forgetting but my brain is failing me right now. 

5. The Ocean/Watery novels 
Okay this is sorta really vague but I recently read Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma, and a big part of it talked about this reservoir of water that was just so vast that it sorta ate everything in its path, and it was just so creepy and well written. I also read Wake by Amanda Hocking and Fathomless by Jackson Pearce which both take place near the ocean, and sort of talk about how deep and mysterious bodies of water can be. I just love the atmosphere of a mysterious lake or the wide open sea where anything can happen. I think I find it fascinating because we honestly don't know everything that lives down there and it's so interesting to see what different authors do with it. 

6. High Fantasy 
I really love it when a fantasy world is done right. One of my favorites being The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson. Sadly I have not picked up the next book but when I am done with my book buying ban I KNOW I will be getting it. Another series that I want to get into is A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin but everybody knows who that is, so I don't think it realy needs a synopsis. Nope. 

7. Urban Fantasy 
I'm a sucker for a good urban fantasy, because they're usually so witty and fun. My favorite (which is also a fan favorite) is The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare but I like her other series (The Infernal Devices) better because it's set in 1800's London and that is my favorite place and time. I'm also extremely excited for the movie in august! 

8. Dystopian
Um, I don't think I really need to explain this one. The only reason I like dystopian is because sometimes world building (there's that phrase again.) One of my favorites is The Giver series by Lois Lowry (which I guess you could argue is a Utopian but if you read the whole series you'll know what I mean). 

9. Mythology 
I think this all started with the Percy Jackson series, honestly. Now whenever I see the word mythology i get all bouncy and excited like "I hope they do this well!"

10. Chicago 
Chicago is quite possibly my favorite city in the entire U.S. and it's really rare to find a book that's set there because they're usually either in New York or Los Angeles or some other big city but I think that Chicago is so full of life and history and when an author can portray that really well it always makes me happy. 



Okay, well those are my top ten for the week! I know some of them have more of a description than others but halfway through writing this post I got really distracted and just couldn't come up with some. 

OH WAIT. I remembered one more that always makes me excited. Any book that is set during the civil rights movement is fascinating to me and some of my all time favorites are The Help and The Secret Life of Bees. 

No comments:

Post a Comment